#defyhatenow Research Fellow 2021
#Defyhatenow is an organization that works on creating frameworks for enhancing trust between stakeholders in Africa through mobilizing civic action against all forms of hate speech, misinformation, human rights violations, and incitement to violence. The organization is considered one of the leading entities that work on providing data-driven solutions to the problem of hate speech, fake news, and misinformation in Africa, working at the nexus of technology, peacebuilding, and human rights. #defyhatenow’s team of researchers, designers, data analysts, and programmers have a wide range of experiences and are currently leading flagship projects in Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Cameroon, and Kenya.
As a research fellow, you will work closely with DefyHateNow’s research team. You will assist in research projects on DefyHateNow’s main areas of focus.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Recruit participants in accordance to DefyHateNow’s principles of ethical research.
- Collect data and assist in preliminary data analysis.
- Transcribe and summarize interview and focus group transcripts.
- Conduct literature review as requested.
- Prepare progress reports on current research projects.
- Provide insights for DefyHateNow’s Research activities based on prior experience.
- Participate in DefyHateNow’s Research team development training.
- Participate in research dissemination activities including workshops, campaigns and training.
- Perform any other task related but not limited to DefyHateNow’s Research as requested.
The ideal candidate for this position is:
- Well versed with qualitative and quantitative research methods and experienced in primary data collection methods.
- An excellent time manager and communicator able to work with tight deadlines and deliver high-quality work.
- Able to work collaboratively with a diverse team.
- Self-driven, diligent and able to work with minimal supervision.
This is a six-month position with a potential extension. If you are the person we are looking for please send your Curriculum Vitae/Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected] by 20th January 2021. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Can share with me the focal person for program