Position: Senior Program Advisor, #defyhatenow, South Sudan
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan and virtual
Duration: 12 months
Type of contract: Fixed Term Contract
Form of employment: Consultancy
#defyhatenow is a global initiative that works on creating frameworks for enhancing trust between stakeholders in Africa and beyond through mobilising civic action against all forms of hate speech, misinformation, human rights violations, and incitement to violence, primarily that which is induced through online media. The initiative is considered one of the leading entities working on providing data-driven and community-based solutions to the problem of hate speech, fake news, and misinformation, working at the nexus of technology, peacebuilding, and human rights. #defyhatenow’s teams of researchers, designers, data analysts, artists, activists and programmers have a wide range of experiences. They are currently leading flagship projects in Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Cameroon, and Kenya.
#defyhatenow has provided extensive capacity-building programs for civil society, humanitarian agencies, the media, the private sector, and government agencies in the region. Through these programs, #defyhatenow has reached over 300,000 people with essential hate speech awareness and knowledge on the impact of misinformation. #defyhatenow is also invested in nurturing a community of young people through Fellowships. #defyhatenow Fellowships provide youth activists and community leaders with resources and expertise that enable them to tackle hate speech online and offline; thereby bringing together grassroots organisations and youth groups to create a healthier public discourse and prevent conflict among communities. #defyhatenow has had over 50 fellows across its countries of operation. #defyhatenow utilises a partnership-centred approach to program implementation; this model emphasises the need to enhance collaboration and strengthen the capacity of local and international actors while creating synergies with like-minded individuals and organisations.
About our South Sudan Program
The South Sudan program is part of a broader intervention framework that aims at increasing trust among stakeholders online and improving the public discourse health among social media users in Africa; with a specific focus on Hate Speech Mitigation, Misinformation Mitigation, Tackling Incitement to Violence and Data Analysis. The program aims at promoting freedom of expression, access to information, and digital rights to create a framework for increasing trust between stakeholders and communities in South Sudan while mobilising civic action against all forms of hate speech, misinformation, human rights violations, and incitement to violence. Our program relates to the global objective of supporting and strengthening civil society organisations, democracy activists and human rights defenders working on critical human rights and democracy issues in South Sudan. #defyhatenow South Sudan Program functions on the frontline of the fight against hate speech, misinformation, and human rights violation. We believe in the centrality of human rights and human dignity in all our programs and projects. We draw inspiration and guidance from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & African Charter on Human and People’s Rights. These principles and values guide the #defyhatenow South Sudan program.
- To contribute towards freedom of expression, access to information and the fight against misinformation and hate speech in South Sudan.
- To empower South Sudanese civic actors to mitigate hate speech, misinformation and increase access to information.
- At least 7 years of experience in program management and project management in the area of civil society engagement and advocacy.
- Experience managing donor-funded projects.
- Experience managing sub-grants to local partners.
- Experience organizational development, setting up systems and structures.
To succeed in this role, you should have:
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- A team player attitude.
- Flexibility and the ability to deal confidently and positively with change and uncertainty
- Be self-directed, take initiative, and be attentive to detail.
In this consultancy role as a program advisor, you will work with the senior management team providing advice to the team and ensuring all programs implemented under the project comply with the donor requirements in terms of implementation and reporting. You will also be charged with mentoring and providing orientation to staff and partners to ensure consistent performance and output throughout the project.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Advise on sub-granting and sub-guarantees engagement
- Train partners and sub-grantees to ensure compliance with project reporting guidance
- Design and assist in the implementation of donor compliance and reporting frameworks.
- Advise the Director of programs on program design and implementation
- Design staff orientation guides and assist in routine staff orientation and training
- Advise and assist program managers and the director of the program in the preparation of required donor reports (Quarterly, bi-annually, annually, and end of project reports )
The duty station for this job is Juba, South Sudan.
This is a time-limited, task-oriented engagement, funded as a project between September 2020 and June 2022. If you are the person we are looking for; please send us your Curriculum Vitae/Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected] by 30th September 2020. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.