Position:-Finance and Administration Coordinator, #defyhatenow, South Sudan
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Duration: 12 months
Type of contract: Fixed Term Contract
Form of employment: Fulltime
#defyhatenow is a global initiative that works on creating frameworks for enhancing trust between stakeholders in Africa and beyond through mobilising civic action against all forms of hate speech, misinformation, human rights violations, and incitement to violence, primarily that which is induced through online media. The initiative is considered one of the leading entities working on providing data-driven and community-based solutions to the problem of hate speech, fake news, and misinformation, working at the nexus of technology, peacebuilding, and human rights. #defyhatenow’s teams of researchers, designers, data analysts, artists, activists and programmers have a wide range of experiences. They are currently leading flagship projects in Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda, Cameroon, and Kenya.
#defyhatenow has provided extensive capacity-building programs for civil society, humanitarian agencies, the media, the private sector, and government agencies in the region. Through these programs, #defyhatenow has reached over 300,000 people with essential hate speech awareness and knowledge on the impact of misinformation. #defyhatenow is also invested in nurturing a community of young people through Fellowships. #defyhatenow Fellowships provide youth activists and community leaders with resources and expertise that enable them to tackle hate speech online and offline; thereby bringing together grassroots organisations and youth groups to create a healthier public discourse and prevent conflict among communities. #defyhatenow has had over 50 fellows across its countries of operation. #defyhatenow utilises a partnership-centred approach to program implementation; this model emphasises the need to enhance collaboration and strengthen the capacity of local and international actors while creating synergies with like-minded individuals and organisations.
About our South Sudan Program
The South Sudan program is part of a broader intervention framework that aims at increasing trust among stakeholders online and improving the public discourse health among social media users in Africa; with a specific focus on Hate Speech Mitigation, Misinformation Mitigation, Tackling Incitement to Violence and Data Analysis. The program aims at promoting freedom of expression, access to information, and digital rights to create a framework for increasing trust between stakeholders and communities in South Sudan while mobilising civic action against all forms of hate speech, misinformation, human rights violations, and incitement to violence. Our program relates to the global objective of supporting and strengthening civil society organisations, democracy activists and human rights defenders working on critical human rights and democracy issues in South Sudan. #defyhatenow South Sudan Program functions on the frontline of the fight against hate speech, misinformation, and human rights violation. We believe in the centrality of human rights and human dignity in all our programs and projects. We draw inspiration and guidance from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights & African Charter on Human and People’s Rights. These principles and values guide the #defyhatenow South Sudan program.
- To contribute towards freedom of expression, access to information and the fight against misinformation and hate speech in South Sudan.
- To empower South Sudanese civic actors to mitigate hate speech, misinformation and increase access to information.
To succeed in this role you should
- Have excellent time management and communication skills as you will collaborate with partners and internal teams to deliver results on deadlines.
- Be self-driven and diligent in your roles.
- Have demonstrable and functional knowledge of using and managing a web-based accounting software
- Have demonstrable and functional knowledge of setting up and managing a payroll and asset management system
- Be fluent in English a(written and spoken) and have a working knowledge of the Arabic language.
- Excellent analytical and critical-thinking skills.
- Have a solid understanding of accounting principles and financial statistics.
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in using financial software.
- Ability to manage, guide, and lead employees.
- Excellent numerical and problem-solving skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics, or business administration.
- Candidates with Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation are preferred.
- Having a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification is an advantage.
- At least three years of experience in a financial management position.
- At least three years experience in financial management, accounting, or auditing
- Any experience in grant management, sub granting, and donor reporting is an added advantage.
- Any experience in management and coordination of multi-partner and multi-donor projects is an added advantage.
The Finance Coordinator oversees the financial operations of the organization, spanning several multi donor-funded projects. This will include creating budget plans, monitoring cash flows, and organizing resources together with other project managers. The Finance Coordinator also regularly checks the progress of projects to ensure that the resources are appropriately utilized without excess costs.
This is a management role that requires good analytical, management, and decision-making skills as well as a keen eye for detail. As the Finance Coordinator , you will work closely with our global and East Africa teams and collaborate with donors and partners to efficiently manage the financial resources of the organization within South Sudan and ensure compliance with donor requirements as well as national, regional, and international regulatory requirements.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide insightful information and expectations to the organisation’s management to aid in long-term and short-term decision making.
- Review financial data and prepare monthly and annual internal and external reports.
- Present financial reports to board members, stakeholders, executives, and donors.
- Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes.
- Establish and maintain financial policies and procedures for the organisation.
- Understand and adhere to financial regulations and legislation.
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the organisation, such as payroll, invoicing, and other transactions.
- Oversee financial department employees, including financial assistants and accountants.
- Coordinate outside services for tax preparation, auditing, banking, sub-granting, and other financial needs as necessary.
- Track the organisation’s financial status and performance to identify areas for potential improvement
- Seek out methods for minimising financial risk to the organisation.
- Review the accountabilities of partners who are sub-granted on projects.
This is a time-limited, task-oriented engagement, funded as a project between September 2020 and June 2022, with a potential extension dependent on further funding possibilities. If you are the person we are looking for, please send us your Curriculum Vitae/Resume and Cover Letter to [email protected] by 21st October 2020. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.